Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Our Canvas Family Rules!


 Figure out how big of a canvas you want. That's going to determine how many family rules your family needs to come up with. The first canvas I bought wasn't big enough.  I ended up buying a 24"x30" wrapped canvas.

 We gathered around the dining room table and decided on obvious and some funny rules that everyone could agree on. As the kids get older I can get smaller canvases and do some "add-ons".

I picked up some double sided specialty scrapbook paper I liked. The double sided paper is thicker and makes it easier to modge podge without having to deal with a bunch of wrinkles once the paper gets wet from gluing. Picking the different patterns out was the hardest. I ended up going with dots. Small, medium and large dots with a full page of a star pattern with the huge E.




I cut the scrapbooking paper into 2"x12" strips. Then I used my cricut to cut out the letters using the Don Juan cartridge and made them 1 1/2". You can use pretty much anything to glue the letters to the paper. I used a xyron machine, but really anything will work....even the modge podge you'll be using later. ( you could use stickers, stencils, etc for the letters as well)




After I got all the letters glued onto the paper I played around for what seemed like forever and finally figured out what ordered I wanted the rules to go. 



 I glued down the largest piece first which is the 12x12 paper with the large E. Then one by one I put modge podge on the back of each of the rules a foam brush.

After all the rules were glued on I did 4 layers of  matte modge podge over the front of the canvas. I did 2 layers and waited a couple of hours before finishing with the final 2 layers. I covered every nook and cranny. The paper bubbled up a little here and there, but in the end it just gives it more character. I took a black ink pad and inked all around the edges of the canvas so it wouldn't be stark white. I then let it dry completely overnight and hung it up in the kitchen.

Just remember that is no right or wrong way to make this project. You can add anything to it and make it completely yours. Most importantly have fun!





Here is our finished project!
I  love it!

Supplies Needed:
  • Wrapped Stretched Canvas
  • Letters (cricut, stencils, stickets, handwritten, painted, endless possibilities)
  • Adhesive for letters
  • 12x12 double sided scrapbook paper
  • Matte Modge Podge
  • Foam brush
  • Paper Trimmer
  • Black Ink Pad
If you have any questions just let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment